Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Yes mom, I really mean it ...

My mom thinks I'm nuts. She shakes her head (yes, I can hear you doing it through the phone, Mom), rolls her eyes, and secretly wonders when I'm going to get "back to normal."

You see, as much as she supports me (& she always does), she thinks my diet is a fad.

Almost a year ago, Wonder Dad and I made the commitment to give "Paleo" living a try. So what does that mean? For us, it has meant cutting out sugar, processed foods, legumes, and grains. Now, we're not super strict on any of these things, but in general these are the guidelines we're trying to follow.

My mom has been effusive in her praise of my weight loss. She didn't say a single unkind word at the Paleo-centered Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners I served. In fact, she enjoyed many of the dishes and even asked for the recipes (which is a big part of why I started the food blog).

But now that I've met many of my weight goals, she keeps expecting me to go back to my old way of eating.

And I'll admit to some temptation along those lines. From time to time, anyway.

But honestly, after a year of eating this way, it really is my preferred way to eat. We will sometimes indulge in a day of old-style eating habits, but in the end I usually feel much worse for the wear and who needs to deal with tight jeans and popping shirt buttons?

Not this chick!

I'm happy with my size and I'm not trying to lose more weight as much as tone my body to get it looking like I picture myself in my head (as opposed to what I see staring back at me from the mirror).

And I DO NOT want to regain all that weight. Just one cheat meal will usually cause an immediate jump on the scale by at least a couple of pounds.

I don't need that.

And more importantly, I don't WANT that.

I don't feel deprived on a daily basis. So why would I need to slide back into those old eating habits?

I appreciate your support Mom. I REALLY do! But maybe this time you'll just have to keep thinking I'm off my rocker. Just try to keep it to yourself, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment