Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29 - Isabel

Today's spin of the hopper landed on "Isabel." This is the first time this calendar year we've tried to do this WOD. Snatches are one of the more difficult exercises for me.

For those who have never seen a snatch, it looks like this when done right.

I know I don't look like that yet, but I am now able to get the bar from the floor to overhead without a pause (like the clean and jerk). I need to work more on getting under the bar for the press up. This has a lot of advantages, not the least of which is that you can use your legs to get the weight to full height and not have to rely on the smaller upper body muscles to do that part of the work.

I intend to keep working on it.

For today though, I managed my 30 snatches (with a 65# bar) in just under 5 minutes (4:46). And I'm good with that for now. I hope that, as my overhead squats get better, this exercise will improve as well.

We followed this up with a walk around our loop (X2). And despite the oppressive Texas summer evening, it was a nice way to wind down after the workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment