Monday, July 1, 2013

July 01 - my personal mountain

Today's WOD featured the dreaded over head squat. Oh how I have struggled with this particular exercise. But it has become my own personal mountain to climb. And while I can't say I made it to the summit, I think I must have at least made it to the first pass. (Sorry for the mountain metaphors - I'm dreaming of cooler climates.)

Anyway ... today we did the following:

21 - Dead Lifts (155#)
21 - Overhead Squats (45#)
15 - Dead Lifts (155#)
15 - Overhead Squats (45#)
9 - Dead Lifts (155#)
9 - Overhead Squats (45#)
This took me almost 20 minutes to complete (19:23.7 to be exact). That's DOUBLE the amount of time it took for Wonder Dad to finish. But I am so proud of this, I am almost ready to BUST. PLEASE NOTE that I have an actual weight next to all of my OH squats! For the FIRST TIME, I did not have to resort to using the PVC pipe for this exercise! Can I get a "woo hoo!"?

I took my time - I could only do about 3 - 4 reps unbroken. That is why such a lousy time. But I didn't have to use the PVC pipe. And that is WORTH the added time (to me, anyway).

We followed this up with 30 knees to elbows.

I am already feeling SUPER sore! I think I am going to have to have a serving of Advil for desert tonight to make sure I'm able to sleep.

And one OTHER thing to note ... we got a very rare July "cool front." It was still 96F at workout time, but the humidity was super low and there was a breeze blowing. It truly almost felt cool! (Yes, this is what life is like in Texas in the summer - anything below triple digit temps is "cool.")

I know I'm going to be feeling this for a while, but hopefully this "cool spell" will last a few days at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment