Wednesday, May 22, 2013

May 22 - Omar

There's no such thing as an "easy" WOD. They just don't exist. I have struggled with this fact, but it remains an undeniable truth. But with that said, the "hero" WODs tend to be that much MORE exhausting.

So what did we end up with for our mid-week WOD? A hero WOD. Meet "Omar":

10 - Thrusters (65#)
15 - Bar Facing Burpees
20 - Thrusters (65#)
25 - Bar Facing Burpees
30 - Thrusters (65#)
35 - Bar Facing Burpees

First off ... if you have never tried a "bar facing burpee," don't worry ... you're not missing some grand experience. With a BF burpee, when it comes to the part where you jump, you jump over the bar you were just using to do those thrusters. Burpees are bad enough, but when you add the mini hurdle, it's just that much worse. I mean, who wants to have to worry about tripping and smashing head first (know your break falls, people) on the gym floor? Aren't burpees enough torture without the dang bar?

Second ... did you notice that the number of reps keeps climbing with each set. That's just wrong in my book. It's not like anything was getting lighter/easier.

And third ... have I mentioned it's May ... in TEXAS, for goodness sake.

This one took me 13 minutes and 20 seconds. The Rx for this WOD was for 95# thrusters, so I was pretty far off that mark. But I felt each and every one of those thrusters - from the very first set. *sigh* By the end of that 13 minutes and 20 seconds, I lay gasping on the ground, both elbows hurting (not just that tired aching, but HURTING), and just feeling weak all over.

I did do one thing that worked out for this WOD ... before it started, I wet a couple of hand towels and put them in the chest freezer we have in the garage (where we work out). Those things felt like heaven when I pulled them out after the workout. I think that will have to be a recurring theme for this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment