Thursday, March 21, 2013

March 21 - Chasing Youth

My title for today's entry probably should have been "chasing youths." *sigh*

As I mentioned yesterday, we had a soccer game on the schedule for today. But before I go any further, I should tell you that we play in a "special" division of the local leagues. Our division (D-VI) is set up for "mature" players, women, and novices. Our team in particular, is exclusively in the "mature" category - though some of us qualify for the "women & novices" categories as well.

But the team we played last night .... let's just say I'm not sure many of them could even drive themselves to the soccer fields! I'm serious! One kid admitted to being only 13 years old. And watching them dribble the ball at break neck speeds, doing their Lionel Messi impersonations ... well ... let's just say they are not exactly novices either. *sigh*

So we chased a bunch of teenagers all night. We managed to hold on for a 1-1 tie, but that was due to the sheer brilliance of our goal keepers. The rest of us wore out pretty quickly, huffing and puffing while trying to keep up with those kids, so it was a miracle we didn't get totally blown out again.

Oh well ... I guess I shouldn't complain. We actually held the lead for most of the game. And we had a chance for the go-ahead goal late in the final half of play, but it just didn't quite bounce our way. And while I know those kids didn't go home feeling quite as worn out as we did, at least they didn't get to go home with a win under their belts.

No comments:

Post a Comment