Sunday, March 24, 2013

March 24 - Living Up to Our Name

Tonight we got another chance to disguise our exercise as play time, and yes, I'm talking about another soccer game.

I think that is one of the things I love most about soccer. It's a heck of a workout. Running, turning, kicking, and even falling. It becomes a full body workout the way we play. So unless we're playing against teenagers, it doesn't FEEL like a workout. It's just running and laughing and enjoying some time with friends. :+)

OK, so that's not exactly true. It most definitely feels like a workout. We're not exactly spring chickens any more, but it's still the best kind of workout - the kind where you have fun the whole time! And tonight we actually got to play against another team that falls into the same age range as we do for a change.

Despite that, they had a number of speedsters (who barely made the 30 year old cut off) and they ran us pretty ragged. To top it off, a cool front came through with some serious wind and made it down right COLD out there tonight.

But I'm not complaining. I had fun. I made a couple of nice defensive stops and I didn't get hurt. For me that's a win (even if the score sheet says our team lost the game)!

One downer though ... we are missing a few key players due to injury. And as of late, it seems like at least one of our guys goes down hard in each game. When you're as "mature" as our team, you can't take too many of those hard falls before you can't get up any more. *sigh*

Our team is called 'the Injured Reserves.' I hope we can stop living up to our name long enough to field a healthy team before the season is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment