Monday, January 14, 2013

Jan 14 - WOD

I found a version of today's WOD on the Men's Fitness website, so naturally, I call it the "MMF WOD" (modified men's fitness WOD).

Each round of this WOD consists of:
10 - sand bag swings
10 - thrusters
10 - push ups
10 - sand bag overhead squats
10 - box jumps

The goal is to do 5 rounds in as little time as possible. My time today was 20 minutes and 21 seconds. Yes, you read that correctly. This WOD took over 20 minutes and I huffed and puffed and longed for my inhaler (I forgot to bring it) all the way through. *sigh*

If you have never done them before, let me tell you that overhead squats are a serious form of torture!

I have always loved squats. It is one of the few exercises that has come fairly naturally to me.

But overhead squats are another beast all together.

I am determined to contort my body until it can do the proper form. It doesn't come naturally, but ever so slowly I am beginning to work my way into the correct motion for this exercise.

As I am still working my way to a good overhead squat, I had to abandon the sandbags for that exercise. Instead, I used a length of 1" diameter PVC pipe. It really helped in terms of my form. I'll work on adding weight next time.

Another way to ramp up the intensity of a traditional exercise is to use an unconventional, unstable weight like sandbags. In this WOD, we replaced kettlebell swings with sand bag swings. It never fails to amaze me how, even when the weight is fairly light, when it is unstable like this, it completely changes the complexity of the movement.

I think this is the longest crossfit workout I've been able to do. And I am already feeling muscle soreness setting in, especially in my shoulders and upper back.

All in all, though, I am happy with this workout. It's tough. Tougher than it looks "on paper." But we did it. Without dialing anything back. That's something to hold onto when my body starts screaming at me later.

Also got back into the swing of things in the 'planksalot' challenge. Today's time was 1 minute and 20 seconds. I'm getting very familiar with the carpet in my little cubicle. :+)

No comments:

Post a Comment