Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Kicking Things Off

So it's January 1st and all across the globe people are setting their sights on a slimmer, fitter new year.

In reality, I am no different. Except I am not focused on a particular number. Sure, I know about how many pounds I would ideally like to lose, but more important than what I hope to lose, is what I hope to gain.

I want my knees to feel better. I want my favorite clothes to fit better. I want to look on the outside like I feel on the inside.

I'll be honest, I didn't wait for the New Year to roll around to get started. My biggest change so far, and the one I feel I most need to be permanent, has been getting rid of my soft drinks. I used the less stressful life of Christmas break to wave them adieu. I did have one at a restaurant, but that did not constitute a relapse so far.

The true test will come when I start back to work tomorrow, but for now I am feeling pretty resolute. Wish me luck!

I have a lot of changes I would like to see over the next year. But my hope is that one will build on the next.

We are still plugging away with our workouts. We are registered for a 5K in a couple of months. We may try a 10K in the fall. I am not sure what else we may try. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hope you will follow along, offer suggestions or advice. Fitness is much more fun as a group.

2 comments:

  1. I am on the same journey. I just reached the 100lbs lost mark, and have a ways to go, but for me, it's less about a number and more about pursuing Christ with every aspect of my life. My body, my life, is His temple - it needs to reflect that.

    I re-joined the gym for three months. I leave for India in a month. My first challenge is to work to gain back the stamina and strength I had at my peak during the 100 lb loss journey - I pray to have it back before India so that I can serve Him there at my best.

    My biggest challenge is discipline / time / structure - with so any demands on me with the current circumstances, it's twice as hard as it was before. All I can say about that is "Get behind me, satan!" I am on a mission, my life is a mission.

    Praying you through... you're not alone.

    As for soda/pop... I'm a CokeZero addict.... what was your pop of choice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pop of choice was/is Dr. Pepper. Man, I love that stuff. Sweet tea, with all of it's sugary caffeine, is also an indulgence I don't need. I am missing it less. And the caffeine headaches have stopped. I quit it once before (just before getting pregnant in 2001) so I know I can do it. But it's not easy to drop, that's for certain.

    I hope your strength and stamina not only returns, but grows in your efforts! Go get 'em, JD!

    ReplyDelete