Thursday, January 31, 2013

Jan 31 - Pink Cheeks & a Calypso Party

It's been a full day. Another busy day at work, but I did manage to get in my plank between meetings. It's the last day of the month and the last day of the Planks Alot Challenge. I held my plank for an excruciating 2 minutes and 20 seconds. But I held it!

My pal, Wendy, over at One Tough Mother Runner is starting a whole new challenge for February. There will still be a plank a day, but she's adding squats to the mix. I love a good squat as much as I despise planks, so I am in!

We also kept our date with the cardio machines at the gym today. My right knee hasn't been feeling very well. In fact, yesterday I went to see my doctor for a quick cortisone shot. It's an old injury and while I am by no means needing extreme intervention, I don't have much (well, any) cartilage in that knee anymore, so that does mean I need an occasional shot to bring down the inflammation. Anyway, got that done yesterday and still have about 24 more hours until I can fully feel the god effects of he shot. So I'll admit that I walked right past the old tread monster, I mean treadmill, and decided to sweat it out on the elliptical, instead. It was a good choice and I topped 2 miles in our 20 minutes.

I am not sure if it's related to the cortisone shot, but my face started to flush about midday today and it has not let up yet. Wonder Boy keeps pressing his palms to my face. It feels good - he has cold hands today. I cannot explain the flush though. I have seen people on niacin supplements flush like this, but it usually clears in a few hours. I haven't taken anything - no vitamins, no allergy meds, not even any Tylenol. It's confusing and I hope it passes soon. If not, I guess I'll be calling my doc tomorrow morning.

The end of this day has been very enjoyable, despite my burning cheeks. Wonder Boy is learning a new tune on his viola. Turned out to be "Banana Boat" as in Harry Belafonte fame. Once he was done with his practice, we fired up YouTube and danced to as many calypso tunes as we could find! Don't ya just love the Internet?! I figure I had to have burned a few more calories twirling around the living room with my boy. So I am counting that among my day's activities.

In spite of the face flush, it's been a good, productive day. I hope we can kick off February with the same energy we are ending January.

No comments:

Post a Comment